Here is a recipe suggestion inspired by recipe.com and transformed into a GF and Vegan dish. Use the root vegetables already on hand from the Roasted Root Vegetable recipe.
Hearty and Healthy One Pan Vegetable Pasta
Vegan and Gluten Free
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups root vegetables such as parsnips, carrots, turnips, or rutabaga, cut up into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 cups (about 1 medium zucchini), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (2 to 4 tomatoes), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 1/2 cups beans such as cannellini, great northern, or black beans cooked till slightly tender or
- 1 19-oz can cannellini beans or any other preferred bean (make sure BPA free), rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried elbow macaroni (for GF I used Hodgson Mill Brown Rice Pasta with Golden Milled Flax Seed)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Snipped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese (Omit for Vegans)
1. In a very large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add root vegetables, red onion and garlic. Cook, uncovered, 7 to 10 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and tomatoes and saute for 3 to 5 minutes more.
2. Add beans, broth, pasta, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer 7 to 10 minutes more or until vegetables and pasta are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper; serve topped with snipped basil and (Parmesan cheese).