Prepare to be amazed at this alternative pizza crust made with millet and buckwheat flour! You will find the recipe in Anya Kassoff’s recipe book The Vibrant Table. If you are looking for inspiring ideas, beautiful pictures, and tasty recipes you will find them all in Anya’s book.
I took her pizza crust and personalized our pizza toppings with our favorite vegetables and Voila ~Fiesta Pizzas~ Tasty food we can feel good about feeding our loved ones! Feel free to pack your favorite veggies and cheese on top of these pizza crusts and create your own personal masterpieces~
- 1/2 C uncooked millet
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 C ground flax seeds
- 1/2 C buckwheat flour
- 2 T minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 C full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 C water
(NOTE: This crust is deliciously crunchy and not at all like a typical pizza crust.)
(Anya’s recipe recommends sweet potato, tomato, chopped kale leaves and 2 oz. soft feta cheese.)
- 8 oz. chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 large (or two medium) sweet potato
- 1 avocado (sliced) and a few slices of red onion
- Cook millet according to package directions. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ground flax seeds, , coriander, oregano, buckwheat flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and parsley, if using.
- Add the olive oil, coconut milk, and water to the mix and incorporate. Then add the millet and mix into a wet dough.
- Cover a large flat baking sheet with parchment paper and ladle the batter onto the sheet. You should have enough for 4 small crusts. I use my fingers and a rolling pin to shape the crusts.
- Saute the chopped vegetables for the top of the pizza (mushroom, bell peppers, sweet potato) in olive oil, until softened.
- Place the vegetables on your prepared crusts and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with more oregano, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then increase the oven temp to 400 degrees. Add any cheese at this time and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly before serving. Add onion and avocado, if using.