This recipe adapted from Angela Liddon’s Oh She Glows cookbook.
Looking for healthy sandwich ideas to pack in your summer picnic basket? This chickpea sandwich fits the bill!
(See below for a Simple Classic Mayo recipe. The recipe contains 6 basic ingredients and NO preservatives.)
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 C sweet pickle, chopped
- 1/4 C red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 T mayo (for a homemade mayo recipe, see below)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 – 3 tsp lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- sesame seeds, optional
- toasted bread
- lettuce and onion
- Mash chickpeas in a large bowl. (A potato masher works perfectly.)
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Serve on your favorite toasted bread or on a bed of lettuce.
Simple Classic Mayo
(Recipe from The Homemade Vegan Pantry by Miyoko Schinner.)
- 1 C soy milk (or your choice)
- 1-2 T mustard
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp organic sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 C canola oil
Place all ingredients except oil in blender and process briefly.
While the blender is still running (on medium speed), slowly add the oil in a very thin, steady stream until the mayo mixture turns very thick. This may take up to 4 minutes.
Transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator up to 1 month.