A recipe to cook once and eat multiple times helping you to save time in the kitchen and eat healthier in the week, with no excuses!
Mediterranean Lentils and Brown Rice with Garam Masala
- 1 cup Whole Lentils (I used Ziyad brand)
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1/2 – 1 cup onions – diced
- 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 stalks celery
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 Tbs. to 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala – You can find this spice in local grocery stores – or on Amazon.com
- Rinse lentils and rice separately in cool water, then drain.
- With 1/2 – 1 Tbs. olive oil saute onion, garlic and celery.
- Combine 1 cup brown rice in 2 1/2 cups water and 1tsp. salt and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the rice is simmering, soak lentils in 2 cups of warm water.
- After the 20 minutes of simmering rice, rinse lentils from the warm water and add to the rice and continue simmering for about another 20 minutes or until the water begins absorbing the rice and lentils.
- Add 1/2 tsp (or more to taste) of Garam Masala.
Makes 5 – 1 cup servings.
Here is the basic recipe. Add any of your own favorite vegetables to the recipe, serve as a side, or make as a main dish.
Note – When working with grains, always use a wooden spoon.
This is a great basic recipe that can only be limited to your own creativity!