Maple syrup is the only sweetener in this delicious spice cake. Serve it warm with coconut milk whipped topping, roasted pecans, and a dash of cinnamon.
Maple syrup contains important minerals and vitamins that support the health of your body. Also, maple syrup is noteworthy for being lower in calories and it has a slightly lower glycemic index rank than honey. Of course, it is still sugar so always use in moderation!
- 1/3 C olive oil
- 2/3 C maple syrup
- 1 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 2 C spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes.
Delicious Whipped Topping
Place one can of organic coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
When you are ready to serve your cake, open the can and scoop out only the cream, discard or save the milk.
Whip the cream with a hand-held beater and add 1T maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon.
Store any leftovers in the fridge.