With school in session and fast-paced back to work schedules, why not use all the resources you have to eating healthy? I love my crockpot, and this is a recipe I’ve used over and over.
Slow Cooker Marinara Chicken and Vegetables
Submitted by: CHEF_MEG
Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 360
Number of Servings: 8
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, or to save time I buy the minced garlic-use about a tablespoon
- 4 tomatoes, chopped or one 14.5-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 cup baby carrots (I added these)
- 2 small zucchini, diced (I am not a fan so I added the carrots instead)
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced – any color will do
- One 18-ounce jar low-sodium marinara sauce – read the label to make sure the sauce does not have too much sugar or anything hydrogenated
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker; add the garlic, tomatoes, celery, zucchini (and/or carrots), and pepper.
- Pour the marinara sauce over all, and sprinkle the basil and thyme on top.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 6 to 7 hours.
Before serving, shred the chicken with a fork. Serve with a side salad or over whole wheat pasta or brown rice.