(Recipe from Miyoko Schinner’s cookbook – The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples)
I’ve tested many dairy and non-dairy ice cream recipes and this is one of the best!!
Say “goodbye” to dairy and over-processed ingredients and say “hello” to flavorful alternatives!
- 1 C cashews
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 13.5 oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 c organic sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
Combine the cashews and water in high-powered blender and process until creamy.
Add the remaining ingredients and process briefly.
Place in freezer to thoroughly chill, then process in your ice cream maker.
Additional Mix and Match Add-On Ingredients:
- 1 T Vanilla Extract (in blender)
- 1tsp Mint Extract (toward the end of churning)
- 1/2 C Cocoa Powder (in blender)
- 3/4 C chocolate chips (toward the end of churning)
In her cookbook, Miyoko lists many additional ideas for add-ins and substitutions to this basic ice cream base. I highly recommend her cookbook as a very worthwhile investment, especially if you are new to healthy food prep. It is filled with dozens of time and money saving tips.