Easy Spelt Bread Recipe
Wendy has adapted this recipe from Vegweb.com.
A nutritious, easy, quick and delicious fresh baked bread with the ancient grain, spelt. You can switch out the honey for pure maple syrup to make it vegan.
3C Organic Spelt Flour (We use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Stone Ground Spelt Flour)
- 3T Honey
- ½ T Sea Salt
- 3 tsp dry yeast
- 1 ¾ C warm water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a loaf pan with olive oil.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and set aside.
- Mix spelt flour and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add dissolved yeast/honey mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix minimally, just until completely combined. (The batter will be watery.)
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and cover. Set in warm place and allow to rise until double.
- Bake approximately 30-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean. (This bread turns out dense and moist for us. It is crisp on the outside yet heavy and moist on the inside.)