This slow cooker recipe is filled with nutritious red beans, aromatic spices and your choice of andouille chicken sausage or vegan sausage.
Tall glasses of iced tea and steamy sides of cornbread round out this savory meal! See our recipe for Vegan Cornbread.
- 1 lb. dried red beans
- 1/2 lb. andouille sausage (I recommend Smart Chicken Organic Uncured Chicken Sausage or Field Roast Grain Vegan Sausage.)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 smoked ham shank (*omit for vegan)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- salt (to taste)
- 4 C chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 C cooked rice ( I use Uncle Ben’s converted rice. **)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Add all ingredients except rice and scallions to slow cooker. Add 2 cups of water.
- Cook on high for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Serve over cooked rice, sprinkled with chopped scallions.
NOTE: Converted rice is the unhulled grain that has been steam-pressured before milling. The rice grains retain more nutrients and the cooked rice is fluffy and separated. Converted rice also measures lower on the glycemic scale.