This cornbread is quick and easy! Add corn and chipotle peppers for extra flavor.
NOTE: I recommend White Lily Self-Rising Cornmeal for superior cornbread.
- 2 C self-rising cornmeal
- 1 1/2 C non-dairy milk
- 1/4 C olive or vegetable oil
- 2 T ground flax seed
- 6T water
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional), minced (Remove and discard the seeds before mincing.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray 10 ” cast iron skillet** with vegetable spray and place in oven to heat while preparing mix.
- Heat water in small saucepan over high heat until boiling.
- Whisk in ground flax seeds and turn heat to low. Continue whisking until mixture thickens (approximately 2-3 minutes.)
- Remove flax mix from heat and mix with remaining ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl. (Note: the flax mix will be extremely gooey. Thoroughly incorporate)
- Remove preheated skillet from oven (HANDLE IS HOT!).
- Pour cornbread mix into skillet and bake in oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are nicely browned.
** You can use an 8 X 8 baking pan.
See our recipe for Red Beans and Rice as a perfect complement to this cornbread.