(Recipe adapted from Rip Esselstyn’s The Engine 2 Diet- Raise-the-Roof Sweet Potato-Vegetable Lasagna)
This meat-less, dairy-free lasagna is packed with fresh vegetables!. You can even replace the lasagna noodles with thinly sliced zuchinni to bump it up to an even higher level of veggie goodness!
- 1 onion
- 1 small head of garlic, cloves chopped or pressed
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can corn ( I use 2 fresh corn cobs cooked and kernals sliced off)
- 1 pkg firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 jars pasta sauce
- 2 boxes whole grain lasagna noodles
- 16 oz frozen spinach thawed and drained (I use fresh spinach)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin ( I use whatever tomatoes I have on hand)
- 1 C raw cashews, ground (optional)
- Cut washed and peeled sweet potatoes into cubes and boil till soft. Drain and set aside to mash.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees while preparing sweet potatoes.
- Saute onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, and rosemary along with the sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms give up their water.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- Saute broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes in the same pan, incorporating the leftover mushroom liquid remaining in the pan.
- Add broccoli and carrots to large bowl.
- Saute peppers and corn until just beginning to soften (I add a splash of olive oil.)
- Add peppers and corn to large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt. pepper. and cayenne into veggie mix.
- Drain tofu and blot with paper towels. Break into pieces and add to veggie mix. Add mashed sweet potatoes and gently combine.
- Set out your pasta sauce, uncooked lasagna noodles, spinach, and veggie mix.
- Pour a thin layer of pasta sauce to cover the bottom of a lightly greased lasagna pan.
- Layer noodles, then veggie mix, then spinach on top.
- Repeat layering 2 times, beginning with the pasta sauce.
- Place sliced tomatoes on top, cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with cashews and bake 15 more minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.