(Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Recipe from Miyoko Schinner’s cookbook – The Homemade Vegan Pantry: the Art of Making Your Own Staples)
These waffles are simply delightful and easy to whip up in no time with a simple go-to mix you can make ahead and store in an air-tight container.
Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix Ingredients
- 2 C buckwheat flour
- 4 C oat flour
- 1/3 C coconut sugar or 1/4 C organic sugar
- 6 T ground flax seeds
- 5 T baking powder
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
Use a whisk to combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
NOTE: This makes approximately 7 cups. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 months.
- 1 C nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix
Waffle Preparation Steps
- Combine milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Whisk into waffle mix.
- Let mix sit while preheating waffle iron. Be sure to follow all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Lightly brish waffle iron with oil or spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour mixture into iron and cook until crispy and brown.
We enjoy our waffles with dairy-free butter and warm fruit sauce or maple syrup.
(A delicious summer treat idea: Slather your favorite dairy-free ice cream between 2 cooled waffle slices.)
Fruit Sauce Ingredients
- 1 10 oz. bag frozen strawberries or mixed berries
- water, enough to cover the bottom of small saucepan
Heat berries in water, over low heat, until just warm. Stir as needed as the berries thaw. Add a bit more water, if needed.
Sprinkle cinnamon and cut bananas on berry covered waffles.