(Adapted from Nourishing Meals: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes for the Whole Family by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre, MS, CN)
After the holidays, who wants to spend much time in the kitchen? January is the perfect time to pull out those simple, yet tasty, recipes that require minimal time in the kitchen yet keep us on our path of healthy, nutritious meal choices.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 small yams, peeled and diced small
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Few pinches red chili flakes
- 2 C cooked adzuki beans (we use adzuki or kidney beans)
- 4 collard greens, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ C chopped cilantro (for garnish, if desired)
Heat skillet over medium heat.
Add olive oil, onions and a few dashes of salt.
Sauté a few minutes, until softened. Add cumin and chili flakes and cook approximately a minute or two before adding the yams.
Cook the yams for 15-20 minutes, covered, until yams are tender. You need to watch closely and stir as needed as you do not want the yams to burn.
Add beans and collard greens.
Sauté a few minutes more, or until collards are tender. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and enjoy.
YIELD: 4-6 servings