Recently I made an Asparagus and Tomato side dish for our Easter Dinner. It was a hit! So, here it is . . .
First start with this really good Lemon Tahini dressing from the Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon. This is a dressing you can use on its own or mixed in with other dressings to vary the flavors.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 – 2 tablespoons sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
Pulse garlic to mince in a food processor. Add the tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, oil, water, and salt – process until smooth.
The dressing will thicken up when chilled. Makes: 2/3 cup
Takes about: 5 minutes
Now the salad:
- 1 bunch of Asparagus – Organic Farmer’s Market
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes – Organic Farmer’s Market
- 1/2 can chickpeas-drained and rinsed
- Fresh Dill
Mix equal parts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Thicken it with about a tablespoon of the Lemon Tahini dressing. Start with about 1/4 cup of this combination. You can always add more to taste. Chill for at least 1/2 hour.
Cook the asparagus in a steamer until crisp tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Cool. Slice asparagus in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and chopped dill to the bowl and gently mix in about 1/4 cup of your dressing. Add some fresh pepper.
Serve in a pretty bowl. Enjoy!
Makes: 4- 6 side dish servings