(Recipe adapted from the July/August issue of Eatingwell Magazine)
If you are not familiar with fennel bulb or golden beets this is a great time to make your acquaintance! This salad is quick and easy to whip up in a short amount of time. The flavor deepens with the amount of time you marinate the beets and walnuts in the vinaigrette. One taste tester enthusiastically commented ~ “it’s just like your eating straight out of a garden!”
Rice wine vinegar, walnut oil and walnuts, fennel, and golden beets are all packed with cancer fighting antioxidants. This salad is low in salt and contains no onions. Fennel is a great onion replacement for those who need to avoid onions in their diet.
- 6 small golden beets
- 8 ounces green beans
- 1 C walnut halves (toasted in oven for approx. 5 minutes at 400 degrees.)
- 8 C mixed greens
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 lb. sea scallops
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- 2-3 T olive oil
Walnut Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 2/3 C walnut oil
- 6 T rice wine vinegar
- 2T lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar and shake, or whisk in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and toast walnuts.
- While toasting the walnuts, wash the beets, trim off the ends, and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- When beets are cooked, rinse with cool water and peel and slice into thin slices.
- Place the sliced beets and the toasted walnuts into a bowl and cover with the vinaigrette dressing. Let marinate.
- Wash and cut the fennel bulb. (*See Below) Set aside.
- Wash green beans and cut (if desired) and slice basil. Set aside.
- Pat scallops dry. Brush with lemon juice and sprinkle with pepper, then sauté in a pan with olive oil for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Cook until golden, over medium heat.
- As soon as scallops are cooked, place a serving of salad greens on each plate and garnish with the sliced fennel, green beans, walnuts, and golden beets. Place the scallops in the center and sprinkle with sliced basil. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette over the completed salads.