Recipe adapted from luminousvegan.com
- ½ large yellow onion chopped
- ½ C chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½-1 C frozen peas
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ package Chicken-Free Strips, cut into bite-size pieces (I use gardein brand chick’n strips but you can use approx. 1 cup chopped chicken, if preferred)
- 1 T butter (Vegan or regular)
- 3 T flour (I use spelt)
- 1 ¼ cup milk (almond, or your preference)
- 1 tsp chicken-free broth concentrate (I use Better Than Bouillon No-Chicken Base)
- 2-3 T dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried tarragon
- 4 T poultry seasoning (I use LiteHouse Freeze Dried Poultry Seasoning Herbs. If you use other poultry seasoning you may need only ½-1 T, especially if your seasoning is salty.)
- ¼ C plus a splash, white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (I use The Fillo Factory organic fillo dough)
- 8 inch pie plate
TIP:The wine adds a depth of flavor to this dish. If you choose to use the white wine, use dry white wine, not sweet white wine.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute the garlic, onions, and carrots in the olive oil on medium high for approximately 8 minutes. Add 1 T of the thyme and the entire amount of tarragon and poultry seasoning. Saute a few more minutes.
Add in the peas and “chikin” pieces, mix thoroughly and add any salt or pepper, as needed. Remove from heat.
Using a whisk, melt the butter with the spelt flour over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Keep whisking until it is thoroughly incorporated, it will be a very thick paste.
Add the rest of the remaining thyme and the chicken-free broth. Cook approximately 1 minute.
Whisk in the almond milk and white wine. Continue whisking over low heat until the mixture simmers and thickens. Add any additional salt and pepper, as desired.
After the sauce is thickened, add it to the sauted vegetables and “chikin.” Add an additional splash of white wine, if desired.
Layer phyllo dough in pie pan by starting with first sheet. Lay it into the pie pan and brush with butter. Continue layering each sheet and spread with butter. NOTE: Lay each sheet diagonal to the previous sheet so you have the entire pie pan encircled with sheets of dough.
TIP: If you have never worked with phyllo dough, do not fear! Just follow the directions on the package to defrost the dough. Give yourself plenty of room to work and a thoroughly clean workspace as the dough does overlap the outside of the pie pan before you fill it with the ingredients.
After you are finished layering your last sheet of phyllo dough in the pie pan, pour the filling into the middle of the pan.
Layer by layer, slowly fold the phyllo dough over the filling and brush the entire top with butter.
Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees. The crust will be golden.
Couple this pie with delicious cranberry/pear sauce. Watch for the recipe!