(Recipe adapted from Angela Liddon’s website: OhSheGlows, Chilled Dark Chocolate Pie with Toasted Almond Crust. Angela’s recipe includes a delicious strawberry compote. In place of the compote, I cut strawberries and placed in a spiral on top of the pie.)
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 3/4 C raw almonds (I soak them in filtered water with salt and vinegar, for 6-8 hours before using. I’ve found this to increase their digestibility.)
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- 3T maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 bags chocolate chips (20 oz.) (I used dairy free chocolate chips.)
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 2 T maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C rolled oats
- 1 lb. strawberries, washed and sliced
Crust Preparation Steps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease pie plate.
- Process almonds in food processor.
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, and oats. Process until crust is sticky.
- Press crust into pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Cool 20 minutes.
Filling Preparation Steps
- Heat coconut milk cream and chocolate chips on low heat in saucepan, until just melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Pour into cooled pie crust and freeze at least two hours.
- Allow pie to sit on counter and thaw approximately 15-30 minutes before serving. (I remove the pie from the freezer and then prepare the strawberries and place them on top of the pie, immediately before serving.)