Recipe adapted from The Compassionate Cook, Broccoli Vegetable Quiche and Toasted Almond Crust recipe from Angela Liddon at Ohsheglows.com, it’s listed with her Chilled Dark Chocolate Pie. (NOTE:That pie is worth trying too!)
If you are avoiding eggs, for whatever reason, this quiche is a delicious alternative! I used Organic Nigari Tofu and the freshest vegetables I could find.
Just the aroma from this quiche baking will start feeding your senses before you even dig in to this comforting, yet nutritious, dish. We never have leftovers at our house!
- 3/4 C raw almonds (I soak them for 6-8 hours, first.)
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- 3 T maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 C oats (I use gluten free quick oats from Bob’s Red Mill. Angela’s recipe calls for 1/2 C oat flour and 1 C rolled oats.)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper,, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 C mushrooms, chopped
- 1 C broccoli,chopped
- 1 lb. firm tofu (I use Nigari Tofu.)
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C milk, of your choice (I use organic almond milk.)
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all crust ingredients in food processor, until dough sticks together.
- Grease quiche or pie plate with coconut oil and press dough evenly into it.
- Bake the pie for approximately 10 minutes, remove from oven and set aside while preparing filling.
- In food processor, blend the tofu, basic, nutmeg, turmeric, salt, pepper, and milk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together the tofu batter and chopped vegetables, then spoon into the prepared crust.
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. (TIP: Watch closely so it does not burn.) A knife inserted in center should come out clean.
TIP: This quiche is delicious coupled with a side of fresh chilled greens and cherry tomatoes. We also serve it with Sriracha Sauce.