You’ve begun a new journey toward health! Do you have the tools to support your new endeavor? The right tools can make a world of difference between growth on your journey or constant way-lays by the speed-bumps of discouragement.
Although some speed-bumps can be expected on any life-changing journey, you can control their impact with a few key tools. One of those invaluable tools is the kitchen knife! When I started my journey to health I had no idea how much time would be spent just chopping fresh fruits and vegetables. My old perspectives on food were just beginning to change and the impact food has on our health and well-being was only entering my consciousness at that time. Needless to say, I was over-zealous and under-prepared for the challenges in the kitchen! An emergency room visit early in my new journey, due to a knife accident, gave me pause to evaluate what tools and skills I would need to cultivate to help me achieve at least a basic comfort level in the kitchen.
Did you know…? It takes at least 20 hours to learn a new skill? Give yourself the gifts of time and patience as you learn. You and your loved ones are WORTH IT!
As you begin to prepare wholesome food that will nourish, heal, and energize, here are a few simple tips on using knives:
1. IMMEDIATELY FOCUS on the task ahead as you enter your kitchen. Take a deep breath and envision what you would like to accomplish. Set aside those racing thoughts and worries and make a positive effort to FOCUS .
2. SET ASIDE A BLOCK OF TIME to accomplish your kitchen goal. If you are having a busy day and are pressed with tasks, it may be better to buy some pre-chopped items at the grocery store and save the longer chopping jobs for when you are not in a hurry. For example, save new and more time-consuming recipes for the weekends, or your days off work. Remember, unless you are experienced with knives it’s never a good idea to rush.
3. USE THE CORRECT TOOLS. Here is a short list of helpful tools – (All can be ordered online, at Amazon.)
- An excellent beginner knife – Mercer Culinary Genesis 7″ Forged Vegetable Cleaver
- Magnetic knife holder -Chicago Cutlery Magnetic Knife Storage Strip
- Protective gloves -NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves
- Food scraper with measurements -Stainless Steel Scraper/Chopper by Norpro
An informative reference book for knife skills is Knife Skills Illustrated by Peter Herzmann. Peter covers all the basics and shows step-by-step pictures that clearly demonstrate how to cut a wide range of vegetables, fruits, and meats. If you prefer to learn by watching a video, check online for reputable self-help demonstrations. If you learn better by example, why not consider a local basic cooking class? The investment in time and proper tools will support you on your new journey to health!
A person cooking is a person giving. Even the simplest food is a gift. ~ Laurie Colwin
Watch for more tips to increase your skills and confidence in the kitchen.