A healthy and hearty soup from nourishingmeals.com will warm you up from the inside out. Savor the flavors, and reap the benefits of turmeric, which is known to improve liver function. Food is medicine!
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- pinch or two of sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 large carrots, chopped (3 to4 cups)
- 4 to 5 yukon gold potatoes, diced large (4 to 5 cups)
- 8 cups water or bean cooking liquid
- 3 to 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (one 7-ounce jar)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Herbamare or sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup chopped parsley
Heat a 6 to 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add olive oil then onions and a few pinches of salt and saute for 5 to 10 minutes or until very soft. Add garlic, spices, carrots, and potatoes and saute for a few minutes more.
Then add water (or bean cooking liquid or a combo of both), cooked chickpeas, tomato paste, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
Once veggies are very tender, remove from heat and add lemon juice and parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy the flavors!