You will not miss the beef in this hearty, aromatic stroganoff! It serves up as awesome leftovers too. That is, if everyone has not cleaned their plates and the cooking pan!
This Mushroom Stroganoff is meat-free comfort food at it’s best and you can replace the noodles with quinoa or converted rice to follow a lower glycemic requirement.
- 8 oz. uncooked ribbon noodles (or grain of your choice)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 T flour (your choice), divided
- 2 C beefless broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/5 lbs. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper (as needed)
**NOTE: I substituted 1/2 C red wine for 1/2 C of the beefless broth. I also did not add the white wine vinegar,
- Cook noodles or grain of your choice.
- While the noodles/grain are cooking, sauté the onions in olive oil for approximately 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and flour and cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth (and wine, if using), soy sauce, lemon juice, and tomato paste while stirring.
- Add the herbs and spices and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat to low and simmer until broth thickens.
- Spoon over prepared noodles or grain and garnish with parsley.
(Original recipe from Molly Patrick at onegreenplanet.org.)