(Recipe from connoisseurusveg.)
This savory stew is easy to make and reheats well. A perfect nourishing stew for a cool fall evening.
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, large
- 1 lb. Portobello mushrooms
- 2 lbs. red potatoes
- 3 T fresh thyme
- 2 T fresh rosemary
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 2T olive oil
- 1 C dry red wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and chop all the vegetables and herbs. (Leave the skin on the potatoes.)
- Saute the mushrooms in the oil, over medium heat, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.
- Saute 5 more minutes.
- Add the red wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, potatoes, thyme, and rosemary.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. ( Add more water, as needed.)