- 2 C black-eyed peas (canned or frozen)
- 1 C water
- 2T olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes ( I use fire-roasted diced tomatoes by Muir Glen.)
- 3 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 5-8 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 stems fresh thyme
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and spices and saute 2 more minutes until spices become fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally and add water, as needed. (Remove thyme stems and bay leaves before serving.)