This recipe is adapted from How to Eat Healthy on a Budget with Eco Vegan Gal.
- 6 C vegetable broth
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 C carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 C dried split peas, rinsed
- 1/2 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Optional garnish: sliced green onions, frozen peas, red cabbage slaw, Vegenaise, chives
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Saute carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper in olive oil, until soft.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with spices.
- Add broth, split peas, sweet potato, and bay leaf. Turn heat down and simmer for about 1 hour, or until all ingredients are soft.
- Cool slightly then puree half the soup and return to pot.
- Garnish and serve with your favorite crusty bread or crackers.