(Makes 2 loaves.)
This is a dense bread that is delicious warm from the oven. It stores well in an air-tight container and should be refrigerated or frozen if stored longer than 1-2 days.
Sprouted wheat flour retains a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals and in many cases is easier to digest.
- 3T rapid rise yeast
- 4C warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2/3 C honey
- 1T salt
- 9-10 C sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1 C ground flax seeds
- Sprinkle the yeast in bowl of mixer. Slowly add the warm water and honey. Mix gently to dissolve yeast.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Slowly add 4C flour, salt, and flax seeds on low speed.
- Switch to your mixer dough hook and add in the remaining flour.
- Place plastic wrap over bowl and let rise in a warm place for approximately 1 hour.
- After dough rises, punch down and divide in 1/2. Place each half in a greased bread pan.
- Lightly cover the pans with plastic wrap and let rise another hour.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
A candy thermometer can be used to obtain the correct water temperature of 110-115 degrees.
A heating pad, turned on low, can be placed under the bowl of dough while it rises.
The dough hook attachment on your mixer takes the place of kneading by hand.
We can nourish our spirits as well as our bodies when we bake bread with simple attention and care.~